|BRITISH COLUMBIA ARTISTS|
There was an early arts and cultural centre known as "The Gables," on University Boulevard, that showed art exhibitions, including Beatrice Lennie's work in 1948.
The Brock Hall Memorial Building was occasionally used for art exhibitions, such as the 1941 solo exhibition by Lawren Harris.
The university was mostly business oriented, and it wasn't until B.C. Binning founded the fine arts department in 1955 that art become an integral part of the courses and activities on campus.
In 1948 the Alma Mater Society founded a collection of artwork that now includes a significant amount of work by B.C. Artists. See exhibition catalogue listing.
The University Women's Club purchased Hycroft Manor and restored it to its original splendor as their clubhouse. Original artwork in the building includes sculptures by Charles Marega.
BC SCULPTURE 60 (1960)
JOY and CELEBRATION (1967)
YOUNGER VANCOUVER SCULPTORS (1968)
CANADIAN WEST COAST HERMETICS (1973)
PLANTAE OCCIDENTALIS: 200 YEARS OF BOTANICAL ART IN B.C. (1979)
UBC MFA GRADUATE SHOW (1996)