|Home Artists Exhibitions Organizations Clippings References|
The group opened a gallery called "The Little Centre" on Yates Street, which Uhthoff ended up running. The gallery moved to Broughton Street and re-opened as the Arts Centre of Greater Victoria. In 1951 the gallery received the gift of the Spencer Mansion on Moss Street from Miss Sara Spencer, and moved to that location, which would be its successful home for more than a half century.
In 1955 a "promising third stage" in the gallery's expansion occured when the Rotary Club of Victoria sponsored an architectural competition to design a new fire-proof wing for the Gallery. This Wing was completed as the city's main construction project commemorating the 1958 Provincial Centenary. This wing was barely completed when Mr. R.H.H. Ker sponsored construction of a third exhibition area in honor of the centenary of his family in Victoria. This extension opened in 1959.
For many years the AGGV has sponsored exhibitions relevant to the art history of British Columbia, and their successive curators have cumulatively produced an extensive list of excellent publications detailing the history of B.C. artists and their work.
|1967 April 25 - May 14||Ten Canadians - Ten Decades|
|1976 March 2 - 28||Sally Gregson - Paintings|
|1977 Sept. 15 - Oct. 12||Frederic Marlett Bell-Smith (1846 - 1923)|
|1978||Mary Riter Hamilton (1873 - 1954)|
|1978||Sophia Theresa Pemberton (1869 - 1959)|
|1979 Oct. 24 - Dec. 9||B.C. Binning: Drawings|
|1980 March 5 - April 27||W.P. Weston|
|1980 July 17-Aug. 31||Jack Shadbolt - Early Watercolours|
|1982 April 8 - May 9||Alistair Bell - Prints 1935 - 1981|
|1983 Aug. 4 - Sept. 4||Thomas W. Fripp (1864 - 1931)|
|1983 Oct. 6 - Nov. 27||Printmaking in British Columbia 1889 - 1983|
|1985||British Columbia Women Artists: 1885 - 1985|
|1986||B.C. Binning - A Classical Spirit|
|Home Copyright 2005|